Saturday, 1 October 2011

Backwoods "Linda" Chassis

I've been posting progress on my Backwoods "Linda" project on the NRGM forum, and it only seems fair to add details here for those who aren't members (although it's well worth it if you are a narrow gauge modeller of any sort...)

I've dusted off my own long-stalled Backwoods "Linda" project. I last worked on this about six or seven years ago, and its sojourn in the draw has just gone to prove that you really should take care in removing all the flux, or your kit will fall apart after a few years. It was up to the badly-running chassis stage - the quartering was and out there were several binds, but there were so many problems with the soldering in the chassis I decided to strip it back and start again. The photos below show how far I've got.

Those who have built one of these will notice that the gearbox isn't fitted - I wasn't keen on the captive gearbox idea so I've decided to either adapt the current one to be removable or build a new one. Also, I've made a set of replacement cranks in 1.0mm brass with press-fitted steel crankpins. These aren't perfect but I'm quite pleased with them, although making them - even cutting them together in a batch of four - is a bit of a pain and I don't want to do it again. You may also notice that I've removed the compensation and rebuilt it with rigid bearing - sorry, far too fiddly for me.

At this point I got really ambitious and designed a set to be laser cut, which you can see in a couple of the photos. The eagle-eyed amongst you will notice that I've actually had them cut to completely the wrong size. I've no idea how I managed this since I had a very precise set of dimensions - I'll order up a few new sets and see how they come out. If they're OK, I'll be using some to replace the cranks on my Backwoods "Lancashire" (no, I haven't finished that yet either).

Regards,

Chris

Checking the bearings for parallel


Checking the bearings for parallel and level


First fit of wheels and new cranks



Chassis with unsuccessful laser cut cranks





Close shot of the laser cut cranks. Well, they look nice anyway. The bottom left hand one has had the pilot holes drilled out 0.5mm - the rest are as they come from the cutter

No comments: