Saturday, 29 December 2007

Lancashire's Boiler

I'm having some difficulty in getting Lancashire's boiler, firebox top and smokebox to line up. The firebox top casting (see first photo) fits between the tanks and makes contact with the top of the brass boiler, but there isn't really any room to make a positive connection between firebox and tanks to ensure that all is level and square.


Boiler parts

So I produced the jig seen inside the boiler using some old bits of brass (and a huge lump of 1/2" silver steel - don't ask what that was intended for). This also involved drilling a 2mm hole through the length of the boiler weight. The whole lot was strung together on a bit of 2mm silver steel threaded 8BA at the ends (yes, like the Quartering Jig - I'm not wasting my new 8BA die) which clamps it all up solid. The idea is now that I can create something to hold the whole lot steady within the body while the smokebox and firebox top are fixed in place, leaving the rest all nicely lined up.


The boiler on the jig


The jig in all its glory


No comments: